Thursday 27 September 2007

Big In Sweden


The reason I get the opportunity to film a lot of bands is simply because I ask them. I go to gigs in pubs, clubs and venues and if I see a band and like their songs, then I go and ask them if I can film some footage. People are sometimes amazed that I have the balls to go up and speak to performers at gigs (generally because in real life I am pretty shy) but the way I look at it is if they say ‘yes’ then it’s a bonus and if they say ‘no’ then I haven’t really lost anything, other than two minutes of my time. I’m in the same position I was before I asked. The old saying is true – if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

I might have had a different outlook if the first band I asked had laughed at me and said ‘no’, but they didn’t and that gave me a great amount of confidence. You always have to remember that these guys are up there on stage because they want to entertain and be famous and successful. And if they have any sort of brain in their head they’re not going to say ‘no’ when someone comes up to them and offers them a free video. It’s good business sense. If the video turns out to be crap, well, they haven’t paid for it. But if it turns out to be good, then they have just got a free video with which to promote themselves.

The only three reasons a band will ever say ‘no’ is because:

They are already famous and don’t need your services.
They are a signed band and are not allowed to appear in any unsanctioned videos.
They don’t like the look of you or don’t think you’re serious.

The first band that I ever approached was a band called ‘Big in Sweden’. I had just split up with my girlfriend and was in Mallorca on holiday trying to pull my life back together and get some confidence back. I was there with my friend Charlie and had taken my camera with me to record some recce work for a Sea Monster movie we were thinking of making called ‘Dark Waters’. I had been going to Mallorca for about 12 years and thought that it would be a good spot for making a movie. During the day we were touring around the island looking for locations and then at night we were going down to a little pub in Santa Ponsa town called ‘Dicey Reilly’s’.

One night we were having a few drinks when a four piece band from Ireland came on. They were called ‘Big in Sweden’. I had heard cover bands before ranging from good to terrible. But after a few songs, I realised that these guys were brilliant. I just knew that I would love to film them and I said to Charlie that I was going to ask them. At the end of the set, I watched them packing up their equipment and was about to go and ask them if I could film them when my nerves got the better of me and I bottled it. We left the pub and went to another bar round the corner. Charlie told me I could always ask them the next night, but I felt like I’d missed the chance.

The bar that we were in was empty and I was feeling pretty deflated as we sat there with our drinks. Then the door opened and who should walk in but the band we had just seen. They ordered some drinks and sat down at the other end of the bar and I knew then that it was karma. It was now or never. I looked at Charlie, downed my drink, got up and walked over to where they were sitting.

The lead singer was called Tony and we got chatting. I told him I saw the show and the band were great and I asked him if I could come down the next night and film them. And when he said ‘yes’ I was ecstatic. I gave him a business card that I had in my pocket. I know some of you may think that producing a business card is a bit false, but when you’re a young filmmaker and you need someone to know that you’re serious, it helps. Print some business cards and take them everywhere. You don’t have to throw them around, but if someone wants to know that you’re on the level, a good business card looks better than writing your number on the back of a beer mat.

The next night I arrived down early with my camera. Charlie had a little stills camera that he was going to use to take some photographs. At the time I was using a Panasonic M40 camera that was quite big (it was the type that sat on your shoulder). The band were slightly late (Tony joked that it was because they were all in the flat doing their hair and getting dressed up). When they saw the camera I think they were impressed and slightly nervous. Sometimes, size does matter. I didn’t have any sound equipment in those days but because the pub was small I was able to use the sound from the microphone on the camera. A more experienced filmmaker would have filmed one or two songs and went for quality but I didn’t know any better and filmed the entire two hour performance. My arms were killing me by the end of the night, but there was a lot of energy and fun in that video and I am very proud of it.

The show was great and even though I wasn’t getting paid I got my first taste of the good life. The band got free drinks for playing and every time I turned round there was a free drink on the bar for me too. As well as that I got my first taste of fame. Nothing makes people notice you like when you have a camera the size of Florida on your shoulder.

I have total admiration for the guys in the band. They were there for about six months playing every night more for the love of performing than for the pay. And when I asked them if I could shoot some extra footage for the video they organised to come down and get the bar opened and the equipment set up so we could film them singing during the day (priceless time off for them since they were performing every single night). I only had the one camera so first I took a long shot of them playing ‘The One I Love’ by REM and then I filmed them singing it again, taking close ups and wacky angle shots. Then I cut these two takes together into one seamless rendition of the song and put the titles over it. I learned a lot filming ‘Big in Sweden’ and would like to thank them for helping a filmmaker on his journey.

Since then I have seen the band playing in Wexford, Leightonstone (London), Swansea, and various other venues all over the place. When I make it to one of their shows they always make me feel very welcome and dedicate a song to me. One night I got a speeding ticket on my way to the show, and that night the song they played for me was ‘So Lonely’ by ‘The Police’. Nice one lads!

Please note: The band have some new members. The current line up is Tony Ward, Bobby O’Hara, Phillip Joyce, Tony Tracey, and Shane Gough. They are now called ‘Bluemoose’. They also record their own original material as ‘Sonic Vista’.
Please give them some support and visit their website at
www.bluemoose.ie


Aaron.

No comments: